Saturday, February 23, 2013

An Excellent Excursion

Today definitely ranks among my favorite here in Panama, perhaps even ranking as my favorite favorite (if I were to be so bold)!

The ISA crew had an excursion day, which began bright and early with an hour’s van ride to a river located in Colon.  We traveled with the same boyscoutish man, Claudio, that led our adventure in Portobelo – he is a really fun guy, and is so passionate about the history of Panama as well as anthropology and nature, and is outdoorsy as you would expect a boy scout to be.  We were in the Chagres National Park at the place where we entered the river, which eventually deposits into the Canal.  We traveled by a dug-out canoe, a cayuco, steered by a couple of tribesmen from the indigenous tribe that we were to visit later in the afternoon, and powered by a motorboat’s engine up river (only becoming caught a couple of times on the shallowest parts) for around 25 minutes until we reached a small hill of a beach, from where we began a hike into the dense rain forest. 
Heading to the cayuco
Line of cayucos and the spectacular scenary I got to enjoy
Traveling up river!
Arrival at the beach to start our trek!
The man with the yellow bag is the amazing Claudio
 
The trail was quite tricky and slippery at some points, and we had to wade through a couple streams and scramble up and over rocks to pass, but that wasn’t a problem for this Colorado girl!  I absolutely loved the hike and its obstacles, and I think I may have gasped out loud when I saw the waterfall lagoon that was our destination.  It was such a beauty of nature, and the perfect thing to greet us after that trek!  We swam in the chilly water for half an hour before hiking back to the cayuco. 
Hiking into the jungle
A (very narrow) bridge...
...that we crossed like pros!
Some pictures of our path...
 
 
....a really fun hike!
 
It was a quick ride to the beach of the Embera-Dura Indian community.  (I really loved traveling by cayuco, it brought me back the river trips I did in my younger years – although I do much prefer paddling myself than a loud motor of questionable soundness.)  As we made our way up the beach and up a small flight of wooden stairs in the earth to the village, some of the men welcomed us with beating drums while a few women greeted us with handshakes.  Children watched us silently, seeming quite shy although I’m sure they see tourists frequently.  A smile does wonders when encountering a people that live in a way that is so foreign, indeed so not involved in modernity. 

We went to a structure made of the wood, leaves, and fibers of the local trees, and seated ourselves on the benches that were constructed on the outside of the open square place.  An Embera man shared a history of his people (with translations from Claudio for those who do not speak Spanish), and then a tribeswoman showed us how they use the natural elements (mainly the fibers of the trees and other plants, which they dye and process with various roots) of the area to make their goods.  The Embera are a community that really only became such a close-knit unit because of circumstance: before the Panamanian government decide what area of land was to be the Chagres National Park, the Embera-Dura had lived more widely spread throughout the territory, a family every mile or more from each other, basically minding their own business and living off the land.  When the government came to enforce the protection of the Park, they reached an agreement with the Embera people, and it is because of this that tourists like me visit their village.  Rather than force the indigenous people to move and assimilate with a more modern Panama, the Embera transitioned to a society that gets most of its income from tourism.  As a tourist attraction, the Embera community remains on good terms with the Panamanian government who established claims on the land. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Not a bad front yard view

We were served a lunch of fried plantains (patacones), fried fish, and fresh fruit.  Our eating vessel was a banana leaf origamically folded into a cone and our fingers.  I’m not the biggest fan of patacones, but I did try the fish and I found it to be tasty.  However the fruit was the most incredible item on the menu by far!  It was the freshest and juiciest fruit I’ve had while in Panama, and it was difficult to stop going back for more!  As we finished our food, a tribeswoman and her young son came to give those who wanted them small versions of the traditional tattoos of the community.  These “tattoos” are only temporary, and rather than ink the dye used is also a remedy for bug bites, protection from the sun, and a skin protector.  The Embera-Dura people – men, women, and children – are covered!  Most of their bodies are dyed completely black with the tattoos, and I saw a variety of designs on peoples’ arms, chests, stomachs, and faces. 
Fish and chips, Panama style
The freshest of fruit
The fruit spread
Getting tattoed
 
Don't worry, Dad, it's not permanent
 
(I don’t have any photographs of the Embera-Dura, because I feel uncomfortable taking pictures of local people…it makes me feel even more foreign than I know I am so I try more to interact, rather than look the people through a lens.  But a Google is worth it if you’re interested in seeing their appearance.)

For clothing, they don’t wear a lot, which is entirely appropriate.  The men wear tiny hand-made beaded skirts, with a longer bit of cloth that goes front and center, and the women use fabric as skirts and wear beaded bra-like tops with bits of silver jewelry detailing.  It’s customary for the women to pass on these tops to the following generations, and the beaded designs and adornment are significant to each separate family within the tribe.  The children wear practically nothing, basically a loincloth, which is appropriate as they spend their time racing throughout the village and throwing themselves into the river to cool down; it really must be spectacular to be a child in that village. 

We had a few minutes to wander, but quickly were herded by Claudio to watch some traditional dances.  The dances are quite simple, in movement and accompaniment.  They are dedicated to animals or nature spirits, as instructed by a shaman, and the women dance as they men beat drums or play wooden recorders (tunelessly and without rhythm, to be honest).  After the dancing was complete, we spent time in the main structure to view and purchase the wares of the community.  This was the bizarre of the village, and families had their own goods on display for us to buy.  The Embera make the majority of their income from tourists buying their goods, and I came away with a number of wonderful items; I’m only too willing to spend my money when I know that it will go directly the maker of the item.  Bartering is acceptable, which I love because I think it’s fun (who knows if I’m doing as well as I think I am…).  Some of the kids were tough and wouldn’t budge, and I left their table without the trinket I had my eye on, but I admired their sass. 

Visiting the Embera-Dura and hiking to the waterfall made for a pretty ideal day!  I so excited whenever I get the opportunity to experience a new culture, especially for one so different from my own life as this indigenous tribe is.  It’s wild to think about their daily patterns and what I am so accustomed to.  I don’t know if I’ll have another chance to visit the village again or travel by cayuco to go hiking to a waterfall within the jungle, which makes today incredibly special to me because it was truly so amazing.  It was an awesome experience, one that I'll hold onto for a long long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment